The first project undertaken by the Fund was the sponsorship of the Doubleday/Manchester Award which is running for an initial period of ten years and which seeks to emphasise the importance of breadth in medical training. This is being achieved by making an award to an individual of standing who has made a significant contribution to patient care and who, in turn, delivers a lecture at Manchester University.
Award winners to date have been:-
- 2014 Sir Robert Francis for his NHS Mid-Staffs Report and his work to promote candour and professionalism in health-care.
- 2013 Sunetra Gupta, Professor of Theoretical Epidemiology, was recognised for her mathematical modelling of epidemics.
- 2012 Rony Brauman recognised for his role in the founding of Médecins sans Frontières, his long term commitment to provide health-care where there is none and more recently for his role in training staff for this work.
- 2011 Lord Owen for bringing a medical perspective to public service; particularly during his time as Minister of Health.
- 2010 Sir Michael Marmot for his work in promoting equality in health-care provision.
- 2009: Melba Wilson for her work in creating equality of access to mental healthcare provision.
- 2008: Abu Baker Suleiman who was recognised for his work on providing access to medical facilities to those who live in remote communities.
- 2007: Professor Alan Emery who is well know for his work on Duchenne Muscular Distrophy, but in this instance has been recognised for his support of patients and their families.
- 2006: Professor Nick White whose long term interest has been in epidemic infections.
- 2005: Professor Roger Short of the University of Melbourne whose subject is reproductive medicine and also has a particular interest in arresting the spread of AIDS.
- 2004: Professor Arthur Kleinman for his work in social medicine at Harvard
- 2003: Sir Kenneth Calman, former Chief Medical Officer.
- 2002: Rabbi Julia Neuberger, then director of the Kings Fund.
Registered Charity Number 1086856.
© Copyright 2019 Dr Edwin Doubleday Fund. All rights reserved.